EASEL TIDES: GAIL M. ALLEN'S PAINTING JOURNAL

Gail Allen is a classically trained artist living in New Hampshire, USA, who sculpts, paints and creates custom designed landscapes, murals and event products.
Please click here to view my painting gallery site:
Gail M. Allen Fine Art

If you like my work, but are not ready to purchase a painting,
you may purchase fine art prints or cards with my paintings on them at my site: Gail Allen Contemporary Fine Art (Print and Card Shop)

Monday, February 22, 2010

"Fire" painting....finally complete!

 

Here is the latest finished painting...this one has been holding out for some time! 'Fire', as he is called, is the first in a series of paintings that are my symbolic representations of the five elements. These are referred to in Feng Shui practice as well as many other ancient and medieval philosophies, poetry
 and numerology to name a few examples. Fire is symbolic of fervent emotion or enthusiasm and is also suggestive of the spiritual plane. It represents the sense of sight, which is why I emphasized the intense look in his eyes. The colors and technique I used to paint him are symbolic of the embers and the depth of color in a fire. Philosophically it signifies transition, action, movement and power as well as instinct passion and desire. There are deities and angels specifically associated with the element of fire... Archangel Michael to name one. Fire is considered a universal symbol.
When he is sold I will miss him. He has been watching over me in the studio, as an intriguing presence - for some time. Paintings can be like children, with you for the brief moments in time that you share learning together, and then they are off to fly on their own. (Prints are available on my website.)

One of my favorite quotes by Buddha is: 
“Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.”

No comments: