EASEL TIDES: GAIL M. ALLEN'S PAINTING JOURNAL

Gail Allen is a classically trained artist living in New Hampshire, USA, who sculpts, paints and creates custom designed landscapes, murals and event products.
Please click here to view my painting gallery site:
Gail M. Allen Fine Art

If you like my work, but are not ready to purchase a painting,
you may purchase fine art prints or cards with my paintings on them at my site: Gail Allen Contemporary Fine Art (Print and Card Shop)

Sunday, May 2, 2010

More Information on working with Acrylic "Skins" and Substrates

More on the creation of the acrylic "skins" I had mentioned in the last post. I tried making a basic black and white copy of one section, of one of my paintings on regular copy paper, basically making a regular copy. It did not have strong contrast, so it didn't work as well as my second one, which had much stronger contrast. Then, I also did a very strong three color copy, RBG, on Cannon Fine Art Museum Etching paper. I coated all three with Golden's Glass Bead Gel, (which I also used in the painting The Flow of Creativity). To coat them, I used a palette knife to get a smooth surface. They dried overnight, then were soaked in water for a few minutes. This loosens the paper backing and helps to make it peel off, much like wallpaper. Using a sponge, I gently rubbed off the layers of paper, until what was left was a thick skin that had lifted the image from the paper.These skins are time consuming for sure, but I find them also quite engaging. I then apply the skin to my painting, with Gel medium and texture and paint over it, leaving parts exposed. These "skins" can be cut, ripped,or even put on three dimensional pieces because they are flexible.
 For more information on how to create and work with substrates and acrylic gels, Golden Paints has an excellent site : Golden Paints/ Mix More Media/Acrylic substrates
 Recently, Robert Genn of Painter's Keys fame wrote about "The Next Big Thing" in the art world.  My feeling is that for me as an artist, I keep evolving using new styles and techniques until I find one that inspires me so much, I will want to continue to work in that technique. Being trained as a commercial artist and illustrator, as well as doing graphic design, I have learned to use many mediums to solve a particular need for getting my point across, in the best way I know how. Now that I paint larger paintings, I am trying to develop a style that leaves the viewer wanting to look at all the layers again and again, and seeing something slightly different each time it is viewed. The push - pull of which layer to look at first is what I feel engages the viewer. I would appreciate hearing your thoughts.

1 comment:

Deborah Younglao, Silk Painter said...

Now I get it Gail! Sounds like something I need to try! Thanks for the link to Golden's site - I'm almost afraid to go there though.... I might find too much fun stuff! ;)

Can't wait to see what you come up with...