EASEL TIDES: GAIL M. ALLEN'S PAINTING JOURNAL

Gail Allen is a classically trained artist living in New Hampshire, USA, who sculpts, paints and creates custom designed landscapes, murals and event products.
Please click here to view my painting gallery site:
Gail M. Allen Fine Art

If you like my work, but are not ready to purchase a painting,
you may purchase fine art prints or cards with my paintings on them at my site: Gail Allen Contemporary Fine Art (Print and Card Shop)

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

More thoughts on Teen Depression

This piece was recently posted on The Artist Challenge web site, which brought some comments that I would like to share. I believe this is such an important subject, and one of those ethical dilemmas people have to deal with. Should I get involved in a child's life who is not my own child - if they seem to be in trouble or severely upset? With the recent broadcast of ethical dilemma television shows like ABC news "What Would You Do?",  people are beginning to focus more on the loss of our values, character traits, and morals. This, I believe, could make a difference in the direction our society has been heading towards. A recent episode showed a young child crying on the street and  an unbelievable number of adults who looked and walked past. As a mother of three, I cringed, but wondered if it could happen to me. Could I be distracted and miss seeing the child, if I were having a busy day, running somewhere and failing to notice my surroundings? That is what I was pondering as I created this piece.

Regarding my painting, Cheryl, on the Artist Challenge web site, commented: "Kids grow up much too fast these days, they aren’t allowed to be “kids” like most of us were. Such sadness and you’ve captured the teen inside her well Gail, though I do see a wee glimmer of hope in her eyes."
 My answer was:Your right. The eyes are supposed to have a glimmer of hope…because I am a true believer that hope is just a quick pivoting turn away towards a positive thought – if you are able to get your mind to do it, ( some, understandably, just can not)."

MTV – (which I don’t often like) has a GREAT series called: “If You Really Knew Me…” for high school students, (although I think parents need to see it just as much). It could open a lot of dialogs. I saw a few episodes as the result of research for this piece. I think that this is a great step in the right direction.

Again, on The Artist Challenge site, Ray commented: "Your work is always so meaningful and intense. I understand and have experienced teenage depression from both sides of the fence, with myself and my own children. Luckily we all came out the other side. But it’s a terrible thing and usually created from our own minds. This tells the story very well. "
Most of us have been there, scarred in one way or another, teen years have always been tumultuous… we are all fortunate who have been there and come out the other side. Sometimes it just takes having one other person to talk to, I think everyone has that glimmer of hope waiting to be seen. The light is always there, it just needs to be noticed. Today, take the time to notice someone in your life who could use a hug, or even just a word of positive support. There is an unspoken rule: for every one negative comment you say, remember to also say at least 5 ( or more) positive ones

Please Note:  Leave a comment here today, your thoughts count! Also, We artists on The Artist Challenge web site would love for you to visit and add a comment on our work! What you see and don't see in our paintings, whether you like it, what you like or don't, agree or not, or even what you would like to see more of. This feedback is so important to an artists work. Essentially it helps us to know if our conception delivered the message we were trying to portray. Artists create because they need and love to, and have a view they would love to share. Your comments, suggestions and thoughts are an intricate part of our work, and we truly WELCOME your input. Also check out the subsidiary site of The Writer's Challenge: "The Inferno" . Here you'll find an entertaining writer's view of the challenge theme.


No comments: