EASEL TIDES: GAIL M. ALLEN'S PAINTING JOURNAL

Gail Allen is a classically trained artist living in New Hampshire, USA, who sculpts, paints and creates custom designed landscapes, murals and event products.
Please click here to view my painting gallery site:
Gail M. Allen Fine Art

If you like my work, but are not ready to purchase a painting,
you may purchase fine art prints or cards with my paintings on them at my site: Gail Allen Contemporary Fine Art (Print and Card Shop)

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Painting techniques in the Sun King painting

The techniques I used in this painting were different than my normal work in that the substrate was OSB board which has an immense amount of texture. I first sealed it with a gel medium. Then I began to layer basic acrylic colors. I sealed those by covering them with a gel medium and over painted that with interference colors. The raised effects are heavy bodied gel medium over painted with bronze, copper and gold metallic paints. The texture, in my mind, looked like a crystallized form underlying the sun's appearance. The appearance under lighting changes because of the interference colors giving a glowing radiance to the painting.

No comments: